Global Education Office (GEO) Summer 1 Scholarship Application
This application is for current students who are planning to study abroad in Summer 2023*. The committee considers not only financial need (both FAFSA-demonstrated and need that might be missed by the FAFSA), but also the quality of your motivation and the educational fit of the study abroad program.
- Graduate students and International students (who are already Virginia Tech students!) can apply to this scholarship. Note: this scholarship is NOT for international students who are trying to get accepted into Virginia Tech).
- You can apply even if you’re not yet sure about your study abroad plans.
- GPA 2.5 or above
- Enrollment in credit bearing programs where the credits are needed to apply to your degree
- Enrollment in a program where tuition is paid to VT (Third Party and Autonomous Study programs are not eligible)
- PSI recipients do not qualify for spring or fall programs as this scholarship would be subtracted from your PSI funding. You can however apply for the GEO scholarship for summer programs
- Project GO participants are not eligible (as the Project GO program fee is already paid for)
- Summer terms: 3 VT credits minimum
Instructions for the essay questions:
It is important that you provide thoughtful, well-written responses, so you should set aside sufficient time to answer the questions below. You should also strive to answer in your own voice, avoiding such overused phrases as, “broaden my horizons,” “push myself out of my comfort zone,” “expand my worldview,” and the like. There is no set length for your answers; take as long as you need to say what you mean, but do not belabor your point.
If you’re a finalist, we might ask you to come in for an interview.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT wait until the last moment to submit your application! Scholarship Central locks down at midnight and we can’t manually override the system!
In order for us to be able to score your application, all the materials need to be in the system (we cannot score emailed applications/videos). And we can’t upload anything for you as we don’t have those editing permissions. So, any scholarships not submitted by midnight cannot be reviewed – NO EXCEPTIONS!
It is therefore especially important that you check the size of your video submission. If your video exceeds the size, you won’t be able to upload it. You will probably need to ‘compress’ your video for which there are many (free) online programs. By converting it to another size, you should be able to upload it.
- Supplemental Questions
- Name (first, middle, last)
- Name of study abroad program (Third Party and Direct Enroll programs do not qualify)
- Study abroad term
- Study abroad year (you can only apply for the upcoming term, not for a next year)
- Will you be enrolled for the required minimum VT credits listed below? (Below required minimum or non-credit programs do not qualify.)
- Are you a Presidential Scholarship Initiative (PSI) recipient?
- Are you a ROTC student, international student, or graduate student?
- Are you participating in a Project GO program?
- The Global Education Office is increasing outreach to underrepresented groups to encourage greater participation in study abroad. You are not required to report or self-identify as belonging to an underrepresented group. Please check all boxes that apply:
- Help us understand your financial constraints regarding study abroad. What financial barriers do you face other than what FAFSA captures? (FAFSA captures factors such as family income, debt, commitments, etc.) Therefore, DO NOT talk about parent’s income as we already have that information. This is purely to address anything that FAFSA DOES NOT cover.
- Introduce yourself (short video upload)
- Why do you want to study abroad on this program?
- Honor code affirmation: I hereby declare that I have answered all questions truthfully in accordance with the Virginia Tech Honor Code.
- Financial Aid release of information
- Show 9 more